6-7 year old children:
1. Promote writing skills and say "I love you," by having fun pens, paper, journals, ect available for them to write you messages and you to communicate back. Hide the special messages around the house as a game.
2. Create an elaborate meal time (you could dress up or eat something fancy!!). Then at the dinner make a game of table manners and etiquette, get your child to join in the fun. This promotes good social interactions at other people homes and in public!
8-12 year old children:
1. Promote positive self talk for boys and girls!!! Continually encourage their unique abilities and talents.
2. Create time to talk!! The car is a prime example where kids open up. Make these times count by creating a "safe zone." In this time frame your child can share and you will listen and simply reflect, while fighting the urge to correct their thoughts or behaviors. This promotes that you are a safe and trusted person to confide in!!!
1. Write a loving message on his or her bathroom mirror with soap/lipstick/expo marker. This is not invasive, but lets your teen know you notice and love them.
2. Attempt to have private individual time with your teen. This promotes trust and security with you as the parent.